Monday, August 07, 2006

Inflicting further pain on Time Inc

The Washington Post's Checkout blog picked up my Time subscription saga today, so here's an update: I eBay'd it. Paid $10, and didn't end up missing any issues after all. Looks like eBay will be my route for all future magazine subscriptions! And just in time. New York magazine has this crackheaded notion that it's going raise prices to $40 per year, up from the $15 I've been paying ...

(As someone who makes a living writing things for Big Publishing, I'm very sympathetic to publishers' need to turn a profit. But trying to pry high subscription rates out of loyal subscribers isn't the way to do it -- I imagine the sales departments, which bait advertisers with big circ numbers, scream in horror every time nasty renewal practices force churn.)